Shapeways Ring



When I learned I was going to be designing a ring that I was going to be able to print I was beyond ecstatic. I wanted the architecture I chose as inspiration for the piece to have significance to me. The Dorton Arena was one of the first buildings to come to mind. With this in mind, I knew I wanted the design to cover the entire finger. I first drew the basic shape I wanted the ring to be. Then, knowing that I wanted there to be a lot of negative space, I drew the area that I wanted to be hollow. To turn the design into a surface I extruded all the shapes and to hollowed out the shapes by differencing it.



To turn the flat shape rounded like the shape of a ring, I created a circle the size of my finger and used the flow along curve command.



I felt very successful when I finished my ring. Not only was it a simple design, but I was able to exactly replicate what I taught out to make. The most exciting part, however, was receiving my ring in the mail and getting to try it on.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rubber Duck

Vinyl Tattoo